Thursday, April 22, 2010

Killer Latte

So this morning I splurged a bit and had one of my favorite International Cafe mixes - Vanilla Bean Latte.  I didn't think it would be a good decision and now it was not.  Maybe 2 minutes after I finished, I had (and still have) a killer headache.  Interesting, isn't it?!  Most of my problems have always been digestive, but now this.

Here are the ingredients:

Sugar, nondairy cream [corn syrup solids, partially hydrogenated coconut oil, sodium caseinate (from milk), dipotassium phosphate, mono - and diglycerides, artificial flavors], maltodextrin, instant coffee, contains less than 2% of natural and artificial flavor, sodium citrate, modified cornstarch, calcium phosphate, silicon dioxide.

I looked up some of the items above and it was quite interesting (and scary) to see what these chemical compounds are and how they are used.  For example, silicon dioxide (also know as silica) is used primarily in the production of window glass, drinking glasses and beverage bottles [Wikipedia].  I don't like the sound of that.

So it's impossible to know exactly why I have a headache this morning - but I do know this:

- Stay away from foods with ingredients you cannot pronounce
- Stay away from foods with the words "artificial" or "modified" in them
- Stay away from foods that have more than 10 ingredients

Yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment