Monday, April 12, 2010

Day 8: On To Week 2

Alright, week 2 has officially begun.  Today wasn't too hard, not like last Monday.  I think I'm getting the hang of things so it's not quite so frustrating.

I did have a thought on my craving issue.  My protein count has been low, I mentioned the other day that it's been between 5-9% of my daily caloric intake.  For those that are not familiar with nutrient recommendations - the daily amount noted as healthy by government and dietetic associations is 10-15% and a lot more people now believe it should be 20-25%.  So mine is low.

And my cravings have been for those animals - you know... meat, eggs, cheese, and so on.  What I wouldn't give for a hamburger right now.  It's weird, right?  Most people crave cookies and ice cream.

Then it hit me, is it possible my body is craving these things because of the lack of protein.  Is it possible that my cells are sending signals saying - "hey, we need some reinforcements down here" and my brain then sends the message, "eat meat?"  Why not?  Horses do it.  If you have ever owned horses, you know that there is typically a salt block out in the pasture because when horses are lacking the necessary salt in their diet, they'll go lick the block. 

I tried to look it up but didn't find any reliable sources.  I want to see a study, surely some has done a scientific study to see where cravings come from and why.  Couldn't find it.  But it makes sense - that a craving is your body's way of telling you to eat a particular nutrient you are not getting enough of.  I don't believe this is true for all cravings though.

Sugar/carbohydrate cravings seem to be more of an addiction.  Sugars release "feel good hormones" so when you don't have as much of it, your body wants more.  It doesn't necessarily need more, it just wants it. It feels good.

Then, of course, there are pregnancy cravings and who knows what those are all about.  Your body is so confused when you're pregnant that there is not telling what it wants.  It all has to do with hormones and stuff.

So today's meal plan went like this:

BREAKFAST

Ginger Tea
Sweet Potato Hash Browns (which are really good, by the way)

SNACK

Banana Pear Smoothie
Coffee (eek!) - 1/2 caff.

LUNCH

A Cup of Rice - so sad, I know.  I didn't have a chance to go to the store before lunch

SNACK

Cantaloupe

DINNER

Sweet Potato Soup

SNACK

Lara Bar
2 oz Walnuts

Calories:  1200

Overall, things went well.  Bowel movements were solid and good.  I'm not quite sure what to do about protein at this point. Do I stick with the plan or do I add something in earlier than expected.  I can't my body is feeling the way I was hoping it would feel after a week, so I don't really want to mess with the diet yet.  I'll think about it some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment