Monday, April 5, 2010

The Journey Begins...

For the past several years I have had some health issues mostly related to digestive complications, probably more information than you want to know. It gets better... by better, I mean more descriptive. Starting my freshman year of college (almost 8 years ago), I began to experience these complications and they have been persistently a part of my life ever since. I've tried several, and I mean several, methods to help the issue and nothing has worked consistently other than my good friend, Coffee, who has recently shown signs of a fleeting relationship as well.


So why am I posting this - because I am about to go on a digestive adventure and want to be able to document my journey. If it works, I also hope this blog will become a tool for others living with the same burden. I am warning you now that these postings will be fairly graphic with details of my daily bathroom habits and overall digestive characteristics. So if you're not interested, stop reading now!

THE STORY

When I was younger, I remember having frequent stomach pains and sitting in the bathroom at school praying, "Lord, if you help me through this, I'll do anything you want" (I didn't know the Lord back then and didn't know that you don't have to bribe Him in such ways to get help). I believe this was due more to our "fast food diet" than anything so I didn't give it much thought.

I went off to college and noticed an increase in stomach pain, not the same intestines-ripping-wide-open pain, more of a constant heavy pressure in my abdomen (and no possibility of pregnancy at the time). My roommate took me to the doctor after I sat down in the middle of campus one day because I just couldn't walk anymore, it hurt! They took some x-rays and told me my bowels were very backed up...wonderful. I guess it had been a while since I had had a bowel movement, I just hadn't really thought about it.

For the past 8 years, the trend has continued. The pattern has been unpredictable, times in which I don't even notice, and times in which I can't sleep because of the pressure in my abdomen. I've been to several doctors, tried several treatment methods, and never found consistent success. Everything seems to work for a few months, and then my body goes back to what I had come to consider "normal" for myself. The last GI doctor I saw said, "the reality is that your colon is just not functioning correctly. We need to stop trying to figure out the cause, because there is just no way to know, and start trying to manage your symptoms." That was pretty disheartening, but then I found coffee and my heart was lit up again!

Of all the methods I have tried: fiber supplements, increased water intake, increased exercise, probiotics, Miralax, stool softeners, herbal teas, laxatives, enemas, slippery elm, stress management, and I'm sure there are others - the only remedy that has worked well for over two years is coffee! However, even though coffee produces the much desired daily bowel movement, the product still is not what it should be. Half the time they are very, very hard, round, and dark. The rest of the time they are bright brown, slippery, and very foul-smelling (again, sorry for the details). And here's the other part - half of the time I'm either straining to get things moving or it comes on so fast, I barely make it to the toilet. Hmm... to me, that doesn't sound like how it's supposed to work.

I also don't want to be dependent upon coffee for the rest of my life. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE coffee! But I certainly don't want to have to NEED coffee. So what is the solution? That is what I am out to find.

Lately, I have been learning more and more about the relationship between what we eat and how we feel. I know that sounds like a "duh" comment, but there are several chronic diseases that are caused by and/or made worse from eating a certain food that your body is not digesting properly. I recently went gluten-free because it's possible that I have celiac disease. Through studying about the disease, I have learned about other common food intolerances such as milk, eggs, rice, nuts, soy, even meat, that can cause inflammation of the colon. My plan is to eliminate all of these items from my daily intake, and then slowly add one item back in for a fixed period of time to see how my body responds. My hope is that I will find out exactly what the cause of my chronic condition is and be free from it!

So why not go to the doctor, one may be asking themselves. Well, first of all, it costs money to go to the doctor. We don't have insurance right now and there are things we would rather spend our money on than medical bills. And secondly, I've been there and had no success. You read what the last doctor said about my condition, why should I continue putting myself through tests and procedures (again, paying money) to hear that? This is something I can try on my own, it's not easy but it might work. And if it doesn't work, then I can make the choice about going back to the doctor. But I have to try it on my own first.

THE PLAN

I will begin the elimination diet on April 5, 2010. That will give me time to research and prepare meal plans before I start. I have to have a meal plan set or this isn't going to work. Eating without processed, refined foods is very, very difficult - especially since I work full time and have other things to do during the day than think about food.

My college degree is in Human Nutrition so I at least have some knowledge of how my body works and what it needs fuel-wise. The most important thing will be to make sure I am getting enough calories, I certainly don't want to be losing weight while I do this (not a common phrase, I know).

For two weeks my diet will consist of fruit, vegetables, and quinoa. I chose quinoa because it's important that I have some substantial grain to eat and quinoa is more easily digestible than rice. After these two weeks, my body should have regulated itself - if it didn't, then we have greater problems and I have to start over. If it works, I spend the next few weeks adding in the possible problem-foods one at a time, charting the effects, then moving on the next.

These are the foods I will focus on, I have eaten all of them on a frequent basis for the past few years and they commonly cause digestive problems. If none of these are the source, I'll have to make a new list.

Beef
Chicken
Fish
Rice
Dairy
Eggs
Nuts
Soy
Wheat
Yeast
Corn
Food Additives (this will be tough)

So now I am off to create timelines and meal plans. I will post them here once I have them together. Actually, I will probably start a new post dedicated to this topic so uninterested readers don't have to read about my bodily functions!

No comments:

Post a Comment