Monday, June 28, 2010

It Is Time

Alright folks, time to see if my hard work paid off.  It's period week!  The first thing I noticed was less spotting.  Typically I'll have spotting for the entire week before I start, but I didn't have that this time.  However, Day 1 already isn't looking so good.  I'm not bedridden with pain, but I'm definitely uncomfortable and so far have not noticed much of a difference.  We'll see how the rest of the day goes.

As far as my diet is concerned, things have been ok.  I was able to control my sugar craving by adding a teaspoon of maple syrup to my morning tea.  I've also been drinking Kefir for the past week which, in addition to helpful probiotics, does contain a lot of sugar.  I could probably make my own and just sweeten it naturally with fruit.  I'll try that once I add fruit back in.

Still no fruit.  It hasn't been too hard, I don't really crave fruit.  But it is harder when I think about how good fruit is for you, full of vitamins and antioxidants.  I do believe it will be safe to add fruit back in soon, and just keep it to a minimal intake. 

I'm still not sure about dairy.  As I said, I've added in Kefir and a bit of another yogurt - didn't notice any changes.  So the dairy may not affect me, but I'm still a bit grossed out by what I've been learning about commercially produce cow's milk lately.  So I don't know that I will fully go back to consuming dairy.  I've enjoyed my coconut milk and almond milk.  Cheese is tough but I am going to try some authentic Greek feta (which means it's made primarily of goat or sheep milk).  I still can't stomach goat's milk but I want to keep trying.  I've heard it is so much better for you, and for babies, plus we could have our own goats right in the backyard (someday)!

I have been very anxious waiting for period week to arrive, mostly so I can see if all my efforts have been worth it.  Even if nothing has changed, I have learned some valuable lessons that will help direct my future eating habits.  More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment