Monday, June 21, 2010

Where's the REAL food?

It's been about two and a half weeks on the anti-yeast diet.  I can't say I feel much better - still have the same dilemmas as before, only now I've added intense sugar cravings!

You may be asking... why do this to yourself?  The answer is, I don't know!  I've thought of quitting many times over the past week.  I've actually allowed myself to have a tiny bit of maple syrup every now and then - I just can't stand plain tea.  My period is on the way and my hope is to see an improvement in my monthly tragedies.  If I don't, I won't worry so much about yeast.

What has been really interesting though is discovering how much sugar I used to eat.  I am a fairly healthy eater and tried to stay away from most sweets, especially since I don't eat wheat.  But little did I realize, sugar is in EVERYTHING!  Really, everything.  There's the obvious - cakes, pies, and doughnuts.  Mmmm.. doughnuts.  But then there are also things like tomato sauce, salad dressings, soups, pretty much any condiment I find delicious.  It's everywhere.

It frustrates me how difficult it is to find natural food sources.  It's insane that we are ok with putting chemically-made, overly processed foods into our bodies.  It also proves to me why there are so many health issues among our society today, and what needs to change.

The past couple of weeks have been really hard and I don't know that I could go completely sugar free.  Nor do I believe that is right, our "good" bacteria needs sugar to feed on in order to keep our immune system and digestion balanced.  But I will take a harder look at what I am eating.  Absolutely no high fructose corn syrup (which is in worchestershire sauce, by the way) and very little white sugar.  If I need something sweet, I will stick to what is natural.

I'd also like to read more on raw milk.  I watched a pretty disturbing video today about the conditions of some dairy mills.  I knew this was the case with most beef and chickens, but for some reason didn't think about the conditions of dairy farms.  I've been staying away from cow's milk, for the most part, but when I think about feeding my husband and children someday - I'd like them to enjoy real milk, REAL milk.  It's so expensive though, I think that's the hardest part for me.  But I have to keep telling myself, it's worth it.  Health is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment